Friday, March 18, 2011

Wood Frogs in action

This past week's rain storms, combined with Thursday's very mild temperatures, have brought about a flurry of breeding activity from a few of our area's local amphibians.  One of the first species to begin their spring ritual is the Wood frog (Rana sylvatica).

Though the sight and sound of this species is typically overlooked because of their chosen breeding locations (woodland pools), now is the best time of year to catch a glimpse of dozens of these frogs inhabiting the shallow waters of our forest's woodland pools.  Soon they will be laying eggs and then retreating back into the forest for the remainder of the year.

Below is a short video I recorded on Thursday, March 17 at the woodland pool located adjacent to the Wood Thrush trail here at Westmoreland.  I hope you enjoy the video, but I really hope you'll get out to see these beautiful amphibians for yourself in a woodland pool near you.



-Adam Zorn, Naturalist

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I've never heard that kind of sound before. It's amazing what's in our backyards and we don't even know it.

-Tj

Westmoreland Sanctuary said...

Yeah, it is amazing! It sounds like a thousand tiny ducks quacking in the forest until you reach the pool and see nothing but Wood Frogs. You should see it for yourself some time.

chuck banks said...

Just returned from a month in Florida (you should see my birding notes!), and I'm glad that I can hear the authentic sounds of spring in my backyard pond. Great video/audio, Adam.

Please, however, stop the snow!
Chuck B.